At times, you may encounter errors while making API calls. This article is meant to explain and troubleshoot the most common errors or issues that folks run into. For an exhaustive listing of errors please refer to our API documentation. If you end up needing to send in a support ticket, please follow the guidelines listed in the last section in order to have the most efficient customer service experience.
Please refer to the table below to troubleshoot through the most common API error messaging.
*This error can also occur when creating or updating a record and writing a new value to a linked record field. If we are unable to find a matching record in the linked (foreign) table, then we will attempt to create a record in that foreign table and set the primary field to the value given in the API request. That request to create the foreign record will fail if the foreign table is a synced table since it's not possible to create records in a synced table. It will also fail if the foreign table has a formula field as the primary field since it's not possible to write directly to a formula field.
Here are some related links for each error code:
These are the most common issues that customers run into at the moment.
- I’m having trouble using the filterByFormula parameter - When using the
filterByFormula parameter, the formula provided in the request will be evaluated for each record. If the result is not
#Error!, then the record will be included in the response. This parameter requires a valid Airtable Formula.
The most effective way to troubleshoot formula issues is to add the formula to your table in a new formula field. That way, you can see what each record in your table returns for that formula and ensure that the results are what you are expecting.
- I can't upload my attachments with the API. The API request is successful, but in the record revision history I can see that the attachment was deleted right after it was uploaded - When uploading attachments via the API, you must provide a URL where the file is publicly accessible (e.g. not password- or network-protected). Check that the URL you are providing links directly to your file and that there are no access restrictions in place.
If the troubleshooting steps outlined above have not helped to resolve your issue, then feel free to reach out to our support team. Please include the following information when you submit your help request:
- The full API request (Please omit your secret API key)
- Any error messages you are receiving
- Relevant and specific context around the particular issue you are encountering