In September 2021, we released the Timeline view — a new and improved version of the Timeline app. This article covers migrating from an existing Timeline app to the new Timeline view in a few simple steps.
To name just some of the new features that you’ll be gain access to moving from the Timeline app to the Timeline view:
- Drag-and-drop to change record dates in your timeline
- Group your records into visually distinct swimlanes, allowing records to sit side-by-side
- Customize labeling, record layout, filters, sorting, and record coloring directly in your Timeline view
- You can share or embed your Timeline view for easier collaboration with internal and external collaborators
If you’re still using the Timeline app, we encourage you to switch to the new Timeline view for the features outlined above and many more!
Step 1: Add a new Timeline view
In the table of your choice, you’ll start by creating a new Timeline view. To add a new Timeline view, open the View side panel by clicking on the button near the top-left hand corner of your table. Then select "Timeline" from the list of available view types:
You will then be guided through some initial configurations to get your new Timeline view setup.
Step 2: Configure setup options
You will then set up some initial configurations for your new Timeline view:
- Start date field: select a date field to use as the start date for your timeline records
- End date field (optional): you can optionally choose a field to use as the end date for your timeline records
- Group records: One of the biggest game-changers about the Timeline view is that you now have the option to group your records into visually distinct rows, called swimlanes. Learn more about grouping records into swimlanes here.
- Customize labels: Choose which fields you want to see on each record in the timeline and how those labels will appear. Learn more about labeling records here.
Once you've configured the setup options, your Timeline view will be created! You can change these setup options at any time; learn more in this support article.
Step 3: Customization options
A few settings that used to be available in the old Timeline app are now located elsewhere in the Timeline view.
- Selecting table and view: these options no longer exist because the Timeline view is already created within a table.
- Filters, groups, sorts, row height, labels, and record colors: just like other views, you can now configure these options within the view configuration bar.
To learn more about customizing your records in the new Timeline view, please see this support article.
Step 4: Delete your original Timeline app
Once you’re happy with the way your Timeline view looks, you can delete the original Timeline app. Note that this will affect all existing shared links that include this app.
Should I continue to keep using the Timeline app, or will it be deprecated?
Like with the Gantt, over time we will be migrating timeline capabilities to the Timeline view and eventually deprecating the Timeline app. So we highly encourage you to switch to the new Timeline view today!
Can I include the Timeline view in an Apps dashboard?
You can use the Embed App to view the Timeline view in a dashboard format.