- 07 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
Moving a base from one workspace to another workspace
- Updated on 07 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
Moving a base from one workspace to another can be a great collaborative tool! This article covers the ins and outs of everything you need to know about moving a base between workspaces.
In order to move a base from one workspace to another, you will need to have owner permissions in both workspaces.
There are two ways to move a base from one workspace to another workspace.
You can mouse over a base icon to reveal the drag handle (which appears as a set of six stacked dots). Click and hold your cursor on the drag handle, then drag and drop the base icon into another workspace.
Alternatively, you can click on the base's dropdown menu and select the "Move base to another workspace" option.
Please be aware that when you move a base from one workspace to another, this may change which collaborators have access to a base. Moving a base from one workspace to another may also change the permission levels of users with access to the base.
- Any person who is a workspace collaborator from the original workspace who is not also a member of the new workspace will lose access to the base.
- Any person who is not a workspace collaborator from the original workspace but is a member of the new workspace will gain access to the base, at their specified permission level for the new workspace.
- If a person is a base collaborator on the base that is being moved, and the base is moved to a workspace for which they are not a workspace collaborator, they will retain access to the base, as a base collaborator, at the same permission level.
- If a person is a base collaborator on the base that is being moved, and the base is moved to a workspace for which they are a workspace collaborator, they will cease being a base collaborator for that base, and instead have access to that base as a workspace collaborator, at the permission level specified for them as a collaborator on the new workspace (NOT the permission level that was previously specified for them as a base collaborator).
Workspace sharing restrictions
In some cases, the workspace sharing restrictions that have been set up on a particular workspace may cause unexpected behavior when attempting to move a base. You can learn more here, but there are two overarching implications:
- Moving a base to a restricted workspace may not be allowed. This will occur when if a non-owner attempts to move a base that contains share links into a workspace with share link restrictions in place
- Moving a base from a restricted workspace may not be allowed - This will occur when non-owners attempt to move the base when adding new collaborators has been restricted. This means it's important to be aware that moving a base to a restricted workspace where you are not an owner will prevent you from moving it out of that same workspace.
As a best practice tip, we recommend reaching out to a workspace owner to have them help you move the base where it is needed.