If you have a field containing addresses or latitude-longitude coordinates, the map app allows you to plot your records on one of three different kinds of maps. Please note that you need a working Google Maps API key to use this app.
The map app is part of Airtable Apps, a Pro plan feature. Apps let you extend the functionality of your bases: you can use apps to bring new information into Airtable, visualize and summarize your records in colorful ways, and even directly integrate your Airtable bases with your favorite apps.
Create required fields in your base
The map app requires two fields in order to run properly. The first field is a single line text field that you'll use to enter addresses or coordinates.
For coordinates, enter them in either DMS format (degrees, minutes, and seconds: 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E) or DD format (decimal degrees: 41.40338, 2.17403).
The second field is also a single line text field that the Map app will use to save additional information about each address or coordinate that is plotted on the map. After creating this field we recommend hiding it from your view as you won't need to interact with the field once it's created.
Add the Map app
Start by clicking the "Apps" button at the top-right hand corner of your base. You can then click "Install an app", and then search for and install the Map app.
Enter your Google Maps API key
To use this app, you need to enable the Google Maps API. If you've set up map app before, you can reuse the same API key. Otherwise follow the steps below to obtain one.
- Create a Google Cloud project. Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console and create a new project. You may also use an existing project that you own.
- Enable billing for your project. On the Google Cloud Platform Billing page, add a payment method for your project. You will only be charged if you exceed the free monthly usage credit.
- Create a Google API key. On the Credentials page, create and copy an API key.
Once you've followed these steps, paste your API key in the space provided in the setup window.
Configure map options
Once you've saved your API key you can then select the table, view, and location field you want to map.
Then, any valid addresses or locations will be plotted on the map. You can further customize the map with a variety of options available through the app settings. These options include:
- Specifying the marker color by choosing a specific color, or using an existing single select field in your table and matching its color.
- Changing the marker size to a fixed size (set in pixels) or by field. If you select by field you can use a number field to assign different values to mapped locations; the marker size will adjust accordingly to the scale of numbers you provide.
- Adjusting the marker shape from selecting one of three options.
- Toggling between three different map themes: Light, Map, and Satellite.
Clicking on a marker will bring up some information about that record, and you can click "Expand record" to view the entire record. If you want to check out a ground-level view of where a record is, zoom into the marker for that record and drag the pegman icon (shown in yellow).
Is there a way to select a record and zoom into its location in the map?
At this time there isn't a way to do so. Mapped locations will appear within the map app and will reveal record information once the location pin is clicked.