- 23 Aug 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Moving Airtable bases between workspaces
- Updated on 23 Aug 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Moving a base from one workspace to another can be a great collaborative tool! This article covers the ins and outs of everything you need to know about moving a base between workspaces.
|Plan availability||All plan types with options to restrict for paid plan workspaces|
|Platform(s)||Web/Browser, Mac app, and Windows app|
To move a base from one workspace to another workspace:
- Navigate to the base you want to move from the Airtable home screen. Check out the dependencies section below for more details about when this is and is not possible depending on permissions and workspace settings.
- Click the ... spillover menu icon and choose the Move base option.
- This will cause a pop-up to appear with a dropdown menu of the available workspace(s) where you can move the base to. If you don't see a workspace that you were expecting to be available to move the base to, then you likely need higher permissions or need the workspace owner to change a related setting as outlined below.
Please be aware that when you move a base from one workspace to another, this may change which collaborators have access to a base. Moving a base from one workspace to another may also change the permission levels of users with access to the base.
- Any person who is a workspace collaborator from the original workspace who is not also a member of the new workspace will lose access to the base.
- Any person who is not a workspace collaborator from the original workspace but is a member of the new workspace will gain access to the base, at their specified permission level for the new workspace.
- If a person is a base collaborator on the base that is being moved, and the base is moved to a workspace for which they are not a workspace collaborator, they will retain access to the base, as a base collaborator, at the same permission level.
- If a person is a base collaborator on the base that is being moved, and the base is moved to a workspace for which they are a workspace collaborator, they will cease being a base collaborator for that base, and instead have access to that base as a workspace collaborator, at the permission level specified for them as a collaborator on the new workspace (NOT the permission level that was previously specified for them as a base collaborator).
Workspace sharing dependencies
Depending on a user's permission level and workspace settings, a user may or may not be able to move a base between workspaces.
- Owners can always move a base between workspaces if they are owners in both workspaces.
- If there are no workspace restrictions in either workspace, creators can move a base between workspaces.
- For workspaces that do have sharing restrictions, creators can move bases between workspaces only if:
As a best practice tip, we recommend reaching out to a workspace owner to have them help you move the base where it is needed.