- 09 Feb 2023
- 4 Minutes to read
Groups - Airtable Enterprise Admin Panel
- Updated on 09 Feb 2023
- 4 Minutes to read
The Groups page of the Admin Panel lets Airtable admins manage and view information about the User Groups associated with their organization. This is particularly useful for onboarding or offboarding purposes when employees need to be added to or removed from a specific team’s Airtable User Group.
The information and options on the Groups home page allow admins to:
- View all the current user groups that exist within their organization
- Search for a particular user group
- Download a CSV file of the displayed list of groups
- Create a new user group
- See the number of members in each user group
- View the time period that the group was created
- Open up an individual group page to view more information about the group and perform additional actions
Navigating to the individual group’s page allows admins to:
- Change the group name.
- Leave a group that you, as an admin, are a member of.
- Delete the group.
- Search for particular users within the group.
- Download a CSV file of the displayed list of users.
- Add members (other users from your organization) to the group.
- Remove members from the group.
- Assign a group manager or managers.
- View the time period the individual user was added to the group.
NOTEThe ability to add a certain user group to a base or workspace exists in a few places:
- Within the Airtable UI. (Only if you, as an admin, are a collaborator with owner permissions in the base or workspace you would like to add the user group to.)
- On the Bases page of the Admin Panel.
- On the Workspaces page of the Admin Panel.
Searching and sorting
Groups home page
From the Groups home page, admins can search for groups by their group name. Additionally, groups can be sorted by:
- Group name - Alphabetically (arrow down) or reverse-alphabetical order (arrow up)
- Members - Least number of group members (arrow down) or most (arrow up)
- Date created - Oldest created groups (arrow down) or most recently created (arrow up)
To sort, simply click the header column that you would like to sort by:
Individual group page
On an individual group’s page, admins are able to search for individual users (members) of that group. Additionally, the individual group may be sorted by:
- Member name - alphabetically (arrow down) or reverse-alphabetical order (arrow up)
- Email - Email address alphabetically (arrow down) or reverse-alphabetical order (arrow up)
- Group manager - Managers at the top (arrow down) or at the bottom (arrow up)
- Date added - Longest tenured group members (arrow down) or most recently added members (arrow up)
Creating or deleting a group
To create a group, navigate to the Groups home page. From here, admins will see a button to “+ Create a group” in the right-hand corner of the page. Clicking this button will open up an individual group page where the group name, members, managers, and more can be modified.
Any individual group page also offers admins the ability to delete the group. After clicking the “Delete group” button, a pop-over will display asking you to confirm that you would like to delete the group.
NOTEOrganizations on Airtable's ELA Enterprise license agreements can also manage their user groups via IdP sync. Currently, we only offer this functionality via Okta integration which is covered in this article, but we plan to add more IdP services to the list over time.
Adding or removing a user from a group
In order to add or remove one or more users from a group, admins will first need to navigate to that group’s individual group page. Clicking the “+ Add members” button will open a page of your organization’s internal users. From here, admins can add new members to the group by searching for individual users, adding multiple users, or adding all internal users without current membership to the group.
Only internal, provisioned, users may be added as members of a group. External or deactivated users are unable to be added to a group.
Admins can remove one or multiple members from a group by clicking the box to the left of the member’s name. This will cause a button to appear in the header that says “Remove x members” where “x” is the number of members that have been selected for removal.
CSV download option
On the Groups home page, as well as the individual group page, admins will see a CSV download button near the right side of the page. Clicking on this button will download a CSV file of the current list of users being displayed. On the homepage, the file will include the following columns of data:
- User ID, User first name, User last name, User email, Account type (blank means the user is “Internal”), Last active data and time (in UTC), Joined on date and time (in UTC), and whether or not the user is billable*.
From an individual group page, the CSV file will include these columns of data:
- Group ID, Name of the group, Member count (number of users in the group), Member user IDs, and the date that the user group was created (in UTC).
*On new Enterprise license plans this will show as the user's "Seat type."
NOTEYou can choose the program of your choice to import the CSV file, but, it’s worth noting that we have made it easy for you to import CSV files into Airtable bases. Learn more about importing CSV files in this support article.