- 08 Nov 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Airtable interface layout: Record review
- Updated on 08 Nov 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Interface layouts are the design framework within a given interface page. In this article, we will cover the Record review layout. You'll customize the design of an interface page that will allow end users to review many records from a single landing page.
|All plan types/levels
Please consult this support article for a breakdown of Interface Designer permissions.
|Web/Browser, Mac app, and Windows app
Record review layout components
- Record list element - The record list element creates a column on the left-side of the screen and displays each of the records in a table as an item in the list. People using the record review interface can quickly search or browse/scroll for a certain record in the record list. Once they click on the record in the list, more details about the record appear on the right side of the screen. Note that the record list element is only available by choosing the "Record review" layout. It's not available to add as an element to other interface layouts.
- Headline/Title/Name field - This particular field element has a larger appearance to help center users around what the information below it means. This field, along with other field elements connected to the record list element can be customized in their appearance. You can choose to toggle the "label" on or off. A label matches the name of the field in the underlying base. Additionally, you can drag other elements into that header/headline space, you can delete the title, you can put static text there, etc.
- Image field - This layout includes a header image when possible. The image field is optional for this layout, and it only appears if you've elected to use an attachment element. The table connected to this interface must contain an attachments field and any individual records must contain an attachment in that field for an image to appear in the interface. Otherwise, the header image will appear blank. Clicking on an attachment will open the attachment viewer where users can download the individual file.
- Other included fields - During the layout setup process, you'll be able to toggle on and off individual fields to show or hide in the interface. If you have a Pro or Enterprise workspace, you can decide which individual fields are editable or view-only.
- Bonus: Linked record field - Linked record fields have the added bonus of opening the linked record in an expanded view, providing collaborators with additional details related to the record they are interacting with.
Record review layout considerations
- The only way to add the Record list element is by selecting the Record review layout when creating an interface. This element cannot be found or added in any other interface layout, including blank layouts, and provides a user-friendly way to interact and/or view records from the underlying base.
- The Record review layout was designed to allow you to quickly switch between records with ease. Record review is useful for triaging or reviewing many records at once. We've built a specific guide that shows how the Record review layout can be used as a content approval workflow.
- Within the Record review layout, you can also group records based on one or more fields from your base. After choosing the Record review layout option, you can click the drop-down next to the "Group" data option which will open up a menu of fields to group by.
- Groupings in a published base will appear as nested drop-down groups. In this case, they are neatly arranged by project category: