- 05 May 2023
- 4 Minutes to read
Adding a workspace collaborator
- Updated on 05 May 2023
- 4 Minutes to read
|Watch a training! Work together, better|
This article details how to add a workspace collaborator and manage their permissions. If you need to remove a workspace collaborator, you can see more details in this article. If you'd like more information about collaboration in Airtable we recommend checking out this support article.
A workspace collaborator has access to all of the bases in a workspace (at a specified permission level). If you have a team of people who need to collaborate together on multiple bases, you should consider making a workspace to make collaboration easier. If there are people who need to work on only some of the bases in your workspace, you should consider making those people base collaborators instead. For more information on how collaborators affect your billing, see this article.
For further details, read on! You can also learn more about collaborators and permission levels in the collaboration guide.
Add a workspace collaborator by email
From the Airtable home page, click on the green share button next to your workspace. This will open the workspace sharing window.
Within the workspace sharing window, underneath where it says "Invite by email," you can type in the email address of the person you wish to invite to collaborate on your workspace. If you import your contacts, we will autocomplete email addresses for you to make it easier to add workspace collaborators.
You can add multiple emails by separating each email with a comma.
Set the permission level
You can also select the permission level for the workspace collaborator, and add a message. The person you're inviting will see the message in their email invite.
Send the invite email
When you're done, click the blue "Send Invite" button. Remember that a workspace collaborator will have full access to all bases in a workspace; if you only want to share certain bases with someone, you may want to make them a base collaborator instead.
Add a workspace collaborator by invite link
If you need to invite many people to a workspace, instead of inviting many people one at a time, you can create a link that will grant access (at the specified permission level) to anyone who opens the link. You must be a workspace owner or creator in order to create an invite link. If you are an editor, commenter, or read-only workspace collaborator, you cannot create an invite link.
Creating a workspace invite link
- Open the share dialog - From the homescreen, open up the workspace share dialog by clicking on the green share button to the right of the appropriate workspace's name.
- Choose invite link option - From within the share dialog, notice that there is the option to Invite by email and the option to Invite by email and the option to Invite by link. By default, the share dialog is set to invite by email, so click on the invite by link option.
- Set the permission level - First, you can set the permission level associated with the invite link. By default, it is set to grant creator access to anyone who opens the link, but if you click on the permission dropdown, you can also set it so that anyone who opens the link will be granted owner, editor, commenter, or read-only access instead. (If you need a refresher on permission levels, please read the permissions article.)
- (Optional) Add domain restriction - You also have the choice of making the link work for anyone with an Airtable account who opens the link, or you can set it so that the link will only work for people with email addresses from a specific domain. The latter option is useful if you work for an organization and you want to limit workspace access to only people within your organization.
- Create the link - Once you've set the permission level and domain restriction (if desired), click the blue Create link button to create the invite link. Creating the link will create a new section within the share dialog called "Invite links," which will show all of the invite links that have been created for this workspace. A workspace can have multiple invite links, of differing permission levels and domain restrictions.
Copying and sending an invite link
To copy an invite link to your clipboard, click on the little clipboard icon next to the HTML for the invite link. You should see a notification pop up on your screen confirming that the link was copied.
You can change the permission level associated with an invite link by clicking the dropdown to the right of the link.
Deleting invite links
To delete an invite link, click the X to the right of the invite link. Deleting the invite link will deactivate it, and anyone who attempts to use the old link will not be able to access the workspace.
Removing a Workspace Collaborator
You can remove a workspace collaborator using the the workspace sharing window and clicking on the X next to that collaborator's information.